7 Drugs Parents Give To Their Children Due To Over Worrying [Nurses Diaries]
Source: thenorthernweb - January 7, 2023
1. Multivitamins – Breast milk contains the right amount of all the vitamins your baby needs in the first 6 months except vitamin D, which can be gotten from early morning sunlight.
2. Antibiotics: Antibiotics should never be used without a doctor’s prescription and must be given strictly according to prescriber’s advice.
3. Anti-motility drugs : Such as nospamine. Most babies who have colic will get better without any medication. Stop drug abuse.
4. Paracetamol : Paracetamol is an essential first aid drug that always comes in handy. But it is also likely to be abused. Don’t use it routinely unless the baby has a fever. If fever continues after 48 hours, consult your doctor. Indiscriminate use of Paracetamol and other painkillers can damage the immature liver and kidneys of your children.
5. Teething drugs – Teething is a natural process, don’t get too worked up about it. Pain relief can be achieved with paracetamol.
If your baby falls really sick while teething, you should take him/her to the clinic for proper examination.
6. Steroid-containing creams: Dermatitis is quite common in babies but they often outgrow it. Moisturizers and natural oils will do. For heat rash, zinc powders or creams will do. Stop exposing your baby to steroids, an anti-fungal or anti-bacterial cream combo.
7. Herbal concoctions: Your baby’s liver and kidney are too immature to handle the metabolism of most herbs.
Always consult your doctor or pharmacist for guidance.